Frequently Asked Questions

Child Support Enforcement Program

Click on any question below to expand to view the answer:

Yes. The Klamath Tribes Child Support Enforcement Office (KTCSE) and the State of Oregon Child Support work closely together with cases and per capita garnishments.

The Child Support Program has the power to modify child support orders if there has been a substantial change of circumstance since the last order. The parent who wants the change would need to start legal action with the Child Support Program and request a modification. The change would involve something significant about either a parent's income or an unexpected increase or decrease in the child's needs. The Child Support Program also has the power to re-examine a child support order, even if there has not been a substantial change of circumstance.

A child is entitled to be supported by his or her parents until the age of 18. Also, the Klamath Tribes Child Support Enforcement Office (KTCSE) program has jurisdiction to order child support to continue up until the child is 21 years old if the child is attending school/college according to legal standards.

The Klamath Tribes Child Support Programs service area is Klamath County.

Yes, KTCSE can now garnish tax offsets. If you owe more than $500 in arrears towards your child support case.

The best option to prevent a tax offset from being garnished is to keep your child support arrears balance below the $500 dollar threshold. If you have any other questions to prevent tax garnishments, you will need to discuss it with your tax preparer.

At least one of the three parties must be an enrolled Klamath Tribal member, complete an application and return it to KTCSE and the process starts.

Absolutely, KTCSE sign a confidentiality agreement every year and are bound to not share information, only with the parties involved.

No, the child support worksheet is how the Administrative Order per month amount is set at and only the custodial parent (CP) and the non-custodial parent (NCP) income is entered in the worksheet to calculate the child support amount, unless one of the parents are on TANF or SSDI, then their income would not be calculated.

Yes, in most cases KTCSE can negotiate a payment plan, although this will not change the monthly amount the non-custodial parent should be paying. If the full amount of child support is not paid per month it, then it accrues in an arrearages balance.

Child support amount is determined through a calculation that follows legal guidelines. The guidelines consider many factors, such as the incomes of the parents, other children the parents support, and work-related day care costs for the children. Under the guidelines, it is assumed that all parents can work at least 32 hours a week at minimum wage, unless the parent is disabled and on Social Security, or is incarcerated.

Yes. KTCSE will ask questions if the alleged father wants to have a paternity DNA test done. Are you on the child(ren’s) birth certificate? Were you married? Do you have custody of the child(ren)? If the alleged father answers no to the questions, KTCSE informs them, they will need to provide us with custody papers. The cost of the testing depends on the situation. One or all parties would have to be a Klamath Tribal member.